Thursday, November 02, 2006

More Better Scary

At the recommendation of Warren and our religion writer Paul Asay, I watched the original "The Haunting" and pretty much fell asleep during some apparently vital parts. Have I become immune to terror? Maybe. But it made me think of the movies I truly found super duper creepy:

"Don't Look Now" - 1973 movie starring Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie. It's based on a story by Daphne Du Maurier, one of the all-time creepiest writers. It also has one of the steamiest sex scenes on film.

"Rosemary's Baby" - a classic! The 1968 movie stars Mia Farrow, Ruth Gordon and John Cassavetes. I think the apartment building in this movie is WAY creepier than Hill House.

Also freaky: "Amityville II: The Possession" - in 1982; and "The Amityville Horror" - in 1979

1 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Anonymous welterskelter said...

Rosemary's Baby is one of my favorite movies. What makes it scarier than most horror movies today is what director Roman Polanski DOESN'T show us, rather than what he does. Instead of showing us what's scary, the movie builds suspense by leaving the horror up to our imaginations, like something is always lurking behind the next corner. I think the scariest movies are ones that don't bombard you with "frightening" images of the ghost, monster, killer, etc. Otherwise, you get immune to it after a few minutes and it's not as scary.
That's also why the "Haunting of Hill House" book was so creepy and the movie (the only one I saw was the 1999 one, I didn't know there was another) wasn't: the movie version hit us over the head. and was kinda cheesy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home