Thursday, July 17, 2008

YOU BE THE CRITIC


Can the bat be that good?

I know other critics are also liking "The Dark Knight," but Gazette critic Brandon Fibbs sings four-part harmony in his praises.

His review, which is in tomorrow's GO! section, says:

To call “The Dark Knight” the greatest superhero movie ever made is an understatement of titanic proportions. And yet, conversely, the film is so devoid of camp and superhero trappings and is presented with such assured realism, that it hardly feels like a superhero movie at all. The most eagerly anticipated popcorn blockbuster of the summer is, in fact, one of the greatest crime epics ever made, taking its place beside such films as “The Godfather,” “The Untouchables” and “Heat.”

Wow!

The movie opens midnight Friday, (which is tonight). I want to know what you think. Please place your reviews under comments here.

4 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two things about Brandon Fibbs' review in today's GO!...When did "Heat" become a masterpiece? A good movie to be sure, perhaps a very good one, but in the same tier as "The Godfather?" No way. Admittedly, I've only seen it once -- pretty much because I've never felt the need to see it again -- but what I remember most was the totally unnecessary subplot between Val Kilmer (hope that's right) and his wife. You could have excised that and had a much sharper and on target experience.

Second, I personally object to the idea that "Aliens" is a better movie than "Alien." I don't think they can really be compared. "Alien" is a horror movie, "Aliens" is an action movie. "Aliens" doesn't really exist in the same world of "Alien." As much as I really enjoyed "Aliens", it is "Alien" that I return to again and again. "Aliens" is very reminiscent of "Terminator" and is another example of the fine work of James Cameron, and of his Achilles Heel. The man doesn't know how to end a movie. His endings just go on and on with one action sequence after another. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I lose some interest at the end of each of his movies. It's overkill.

Just my two cents.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Warren Epstein said...

I had the same thoughts!

"Alien" was probably a better film than "Aliens," even though Aliens was more fun.

And "Heat" was no "Godfather."

I saw "The Godfather" again recently, and there's always something new that strikes me about it. ... the sound, a particular performance. This last time, it was about how quickly the first 10 minutes set up the series.

You not only have tremendous character development, you also find out exactly how the godfather system works. It's really brilliant.

I can't wait to see "Dark Knight" to see if it lives up to that.

Maybe it will. Maybe it won't. But I really appreciate how excited and enthusiastic Brandon gets when he sees a movie that he just can't wait to share with his friends and readers.

 
At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Wow Gold said...

wow ! what a blog

 
At 3:26 AM, Anonymous Wow Gold said...

fantastic blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home