Sunday, April 27, 2008

Indie Spirit Film Festival

I've had a pretty busy weekend, but I did manage to catch a few flicks at the new Indie Spirit Film Festival. Although I only saw one film on Saturday, that seemed like the fun day to me - a bunch of strange films in strange locations scattered around the Springs. Sunday was all at the Pikes Peak Center, which was fine, but kind of huge for the size of the event. I didn't make it to the opening film on Friday, "Everyone But You," but director/star Eric Shiveley did bake me some cookies. Tasty!

- Saturday night, we went to the freediving documentary "Sink Faze" (I wanted to see the horror flicks, but my wife wasn't into it). Actually, calling this a documentary is pushing things a little - this is to freediving (scuba diving without an air tank) what a Warren Miller flick is to skiing. It didn't really try to explain the sport, or much about who the people were, it just presented the 2006 record-setting freedives. Still, the filming was pretty good and the sport itself is offbeat enough to make for compelling footage.

- Sunday, I went to "305," a "300" spoof by David and Dan Holechek. I'd been talking to the twin brothers, both Air Academy grads now living in Los Angeles, for the last couple months (I actually saw a link to the Youtube short the movie was based on and posted it to the TV Talk blog before I knew there was any local connection). I was interested to see whether the feature film would be as funny as the short. It wasn't, but it came pretty close. For a low-budget, green-screen spoof, I thought they did a pretty good job. The audience was laughing, which, as David Holechek said afterward, is the most important thing. "305" is out July 7 on DVD.

- Lastly, I saw "Minotauro," on the strong recommendation of festival co-founder Matt Stevens. This is, I swear to god, "El Mariachi" meets "Like Water for Chocolate." Wrap your mind around that one! It's not nearly as silly as "Mariachi," or as affected as "Chocolate," but there's some nice cinematography, good performances, and I found the final scenes moving. Now that I think of it, "Pan's Labyrinth" is probably a better comparison. The mixture of shoot-'em-up and family relationship drama was uneven in places, but on the whole it was well worth seeing.

Three films ain't much given that they screened more than 80 at the festival. If you saw something you liked, post a review in the comments section and I'll tack it onto this list.

4 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Dr. B said...

Our favorite was "Broken Fences" (which was opposite "305"), a beautifully shot modern western about a father and son struggle. It does not have a Hollywood ending, much more a Shakespearian tragedy. The lead actor, Jan Van Sickle is great. I think the producer said it will be out on DVD in November.

It was great to have a film festival here in the Springs. The organizers did a great job, a good mix of film styles, the films looked and sounded good (so many festivals have dark projectors and quiet sound). Though, I have to agree the venues were a bit odd. Looking forward to next year.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger AndyW said...

I really wanted to see "Fences." The producers kept sending us stuff here at the Gazette... everthing except a screener. As I said, I'd been talking to the Holechek brothers for quite a while, so I did really want to see how that project turned out.

I hope Jim and Matt are able to pull it off next year.

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opening night was packed at Kimball's theatre for Everyone But One. People were laughing and having a great time. I will definitely come back next year and hopefully have enough time to see more of the films.

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got a video camera and a few friends? Get spoofing!
Check out some of the entries in the MTV Movie Spoof contest. Have fun this weekend! Get your cameras out and spoof your favorite movie! You could end up on MTV.

To enter the contest, go here: http://photobucket.com/contest/mtv/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home