Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Transformers- don't believe the critics!


I loved it! I think the critics, ours included (sorry, Brandon), missed it big time, and I think it relates to their expectations. The previews made it look like "War of the Worlds" so critics expected something in that vein. No. Think high-powered special-effects-extravaganza spin on the old Transformer cartoons. Sure it was silly, and that's what made it so fun. When the giant robots were in the backyard hiding from the kid's mom -- that was hilarious.

These critic types really need to loosen up.

By the way, I also saw "Once" at Kimball's. It's a smarter, indie version of "Music and Lyrics," and the music is terrific. But seeing such a small film after a Michael Bay spectacle was a big jarring. "Once" probably could have benefited from a few cars flying through the air.

4 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Blogger Brandon said...

That's it! I quit!

Hated, hated, HATED that backyard scene. And hated "War of the Worlds" too!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Warren Epstein said...

That's the problem with these snooty critics. They can dish it out ...

I'll acknowledge that "War of the Worlds" wasn't great, and certainly wasn't worthy of Spielberg, but some individual scenes were so perfectly constructed.

It's one of those films that when it's on HBO or some other cable channel, I'll watch again if there's nothing else on.

The other movie I keep watching again on cable is "V for Vendetta." Loved that film.

And, for some reason, whenever I see a "Star Wars" movie, must watch.

 
At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The movie only had the special effects going for it. The plot and the story that weaved through the action was lame and weak.That Megan Fox chick is hot and everything, but she is a horrible actress! She couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag! . . . but man, I would tap that! She's way out of control with the tats though! :-/

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Warren Epstein said...

You know, it's funny. Brandon and I were talking about how movies often have make-or-break moments.

In "Pulp Fiction," it was when Travolta's character accidentally blew the guy's head off in the back seat. If you laugh at that, the movie has you. If not..

In "Transformers," it's the backyard scene. If you giggle at these giant robots trying to hide from mom and dad (as I and my kids did), the movie has you. If not.. Well, Megan Fox is nice to look at.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home