Wednesday, July 18, 2007

We're having a cow, man!


Twentieth Century Fox is being awfully foxy about "The Simpsons Movie." Our critic Brandon can't get a screening in NY until Thursday night, much too late for our GO! deadlines.

Same with critics in Denver.

But, apparently, critics in LA will see it Tuesday night, still later than most screenings but not too late to print Friday.

What's the deal? Usually, studios hold late press screenings or no press screenings when they think the movie's a bomb. That's not the case here.

Fox execs told the LA Times they want to preserve the film's plot from Internet pirates and scoop-hungry movie bloggers.

"Anybody who's needed to see the film has already seen it," said the spokeswoman, who asked that her name not be used. "We're not concerned about audience response to the film. The audience response has been overwhelming."

Maybe we should blame the internet. Print critics always have always embargoed our reviews until opening day. But bloggers (now called "the pajamarati") will post plots and reviews the minute they get out of the theater.

Later screenings can help a studio control its online press.

As the GO! editor, it leaves me in a bit of a quandry. I was planning on making "The Simpson's" the cover next week. But if I do that, I'm gambling that I'll find a review on the wire on Wednesday that I can run on the centerspread.

If none of those LA critics come through for me, I'll be scrambling pretty late to find something else to fill.

By the way, I'm primarily a print guy and I'm not wearing pajamas right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home