Thursday, November 09, 2006

Cars


Just saw this on DVD, and I wonder why it didn't get better reviews. Certainly, Pixar has prompted high expectations ... "Toy Story," "Finding Nemo," etc., but my family really liked "Cars."

It did take a while to get going, but once it did, it was a fun romp. Owen Wilson was great as Lightning McQueen, the big-city race car who learns the meaning of teamwork from Doc Hudson (voiced by Paul Newman) and the rest of the off-the-grid town of Radiator Springs.

Pixar's visual artistry has never been more dazzling. Particularly eye-popping is the look of the town at night with the neon glowing everywhere.

I give it a big thumb's up.

4 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did it get bad reviews? It has the words "Larry the Cable Guy" right there in the credits. That's basically like putting a huge extended middle finger on screen, saying "this one's for you, critics."

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why didn't it get better reviews?

It wasn't funny enough. It's not near as funny as the standard set in "classic" Pixar cartoons.

True, it's wonderfully made.

Also, if you're just not a guy who cares a whole lot about cars (basically, I just want it to get me where I need to go), the characters themselves don't move you much.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Warren Epstein said...

The movie inspired me to write a sci-fi short story about a world in which the cars have outlived their drivers.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger BlueWEB Media, Inc said...

This movie was deeper than a movie "just for kids". The film was very well done and follows along true events that happened to many towns located along route 66. It really did take ten years for people realize what they were missing along America’s mother road. My children really enjoy this movie and as a result I have seen it many MANY times. I still get a lump in my throat when "Our Town" is sung by James Taylor and they show Radiator Springs "back in the day...". This movie is not only funny, but visually stunning and moving as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home