Thursday, February 08, 2007

I'm the best dad in the world


I took my 10 year old to see "Epic Movie," knowing it would be the dumbest movie-spoof film I'd ever seen.

I tried to dissuade him, telling him it got terrible reviews.

"It's going to be awful ... I mean, really awful," I warned.

No use. His friend told him it was hilarious ... so, there I was.

This movie makes reference to about two dozen popular films, from "Willy Wonka" to "Narnia," to "Pirates of the Carribean."

But the filmmakers think that allusions alone are funny. You dress a guy up like Johnny Depp in a pirate getup and have him talk in that same drunken Robert Townsend voice, and it's gold!

Uggh.

Aidan, of course, howled every time it moved on to another movie reference.

"So, Dad, wasn't it good," he asked as we walked out of Tinseltown.

"It was hilarious. Glad you insisted we go," I said, hoping the discussion was over. But when it comes to movies, Aidan is never done.

"It was funny when they came to Harry Potter, and he looked like he was just the same? But then he turned around and he was this old guy?" (I know these aren't questions, but, at this age, almost all his statements end on a high note, like they're questions.)

I smiled and nodded.

"And the part with Willie Wonka ..."

In about 30 or 40 years, this wonderful boy is going to visit me in a nursing home and change my diapers. It'll all balance out.

2 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger LadyBronco said...

My kids went to this one with an auntie.
I refused...lol!

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this movie is funny me and my kids loved it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home