Friday, March 09, 2007

Watching movies with the family


My greatest challenge in Netflix is always having at least one PG or PG-13 movie around on the weekend.

Last weekend, we watched "Monster House," which was thrilling for a kid flick. My wife and 10-year-old son loved it. The 14-year-old wouldn't watch because it was ANIMATED!

Then, I tried to watch "The Weather Man" with Nicholas Cage. I figured, even though it was R, I'd edit on the fly with the remote in hand.

20 F bombs later and 20 looks from my wife and the movie went back on the shelf, with my apologies to the kids.

2 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

This is precisely why I like the older movies better than today's movies. A perfectly good story can be ruined by the four letter words and steamy intimacy scenes or graphically violant ones that leave nothing to the imagination whatsoever.

I will say that not all old movies are so trustworthy, but your chances are much higher of finding something the entire family can watch are greater with the older films -- especially those made before the mid 1960's; you don't generally have to wade through the four letter words and graphic content in search of a plot.

It seems to me that even though films in the mid to later 1960's began to show a little more of this, the real turning point seemed to happen in the 1970's.

It seems to me that the movies that don't use a lot of cursing and whatnot do better at the box office and are more likely to be remembered by the masses. Some almost recent (OK, within the last 20 years) decent titles that I can think of right off hand are Moonstruck, Dances with Wolves, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, The Green Mile, Back to the Future, Short Circuit, Cocoon, Titanic, Batman, and Pirates of the Carribean.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

Didn't miss much with "The Weatherman" though. Neither my wife nor I cared for it. Very depressing too.

Gotta give kudos to Cage though.. he's all over the place playing a depressed weather man to hopping on a Harley as a skull headed demon. ;)

Then again, he DID name his kid Kal-el (from Superman)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home